THE STATE SHIFTER
You begin every week anew. Bed made, shelved dusted, plants watered. But somewhere between always working and never sleeping, you lose touch. What started as a single dropped tote bag has spread throughout your room covering the expanse of the floor. And now it’s Saturday and your date arrives at 8. How to clear the chaos?
- Grab the nearest palo santo bundle. Or if you want to keep it burning, incense.
- Place it on any heat-proof burning surface. If you don’t have any ceremonial bowls, the base of a terracotta planter (sans plant) will do.
- Light the bundle with a match until it begins to smoke. When the fire catches, blow on the bundle until it is just embers and smoke.
- Once the smoke is flowing, wave the smoke from your feet up to your head, then back down. Visualize the smoke burning all the chaos that has piled up inside and out.
- Have a walk around the room to clear the space before your guest arrives.
Mind cleared, dust settled: it’s time to shake things up again.
2 oz Kin High Rhode
1 tsp ginger syrup
5 dashes of palo santo bitters
Star fruit (optional)
Pour High Rhode and ginger syrup over ice in a shaker. Add 3-4 dashes of bitters. Shake for 30 seconds then strain into a coupe glass. Top with grapefruit soda, garnish with an orange slice or optional starfruit, and sip socially.
Revive the senses